If you’re looking for the experts on flawless skin, Korean women have gotten it down to a science. It’s the beauty regimen that everyone’s talking about, and we’re going to break down each step so that you can have your own little slice of “K Beauty” heaven. Not sure you’ll know which products to choose? We’ve got you covered. Our product recommendations are paired with each step in the process. Feeling better? Let’s get started!
The 10-Step Korean Skin Care Routine is based on four basic principles of K Beauty: cleanse, prep, nourish, and protect. Here’s how it works:
- CLEANSING OIL – a mild, oil-based cleanser that removes impurities and replenishes the body’s natural oils. We recommend Heimish All Clean Balm, which uses shea butter, citrus herb oil, and coconut extract. It’s also hypoallergenic, so if you have sensitive skin, this might be the product for you.
- FACE WASH – usually a water-based cleanser, this will also remove impurities and excess oil without drying out your skin. Neogen’s Green Tea Real Fresh Foam Cleanser is perfect for any skin type, making it a top choice for water-based face wash.
- EXFOLIATOR – used for deep cleaning pores to remove dead skin cells and smooth your skin’s texture. This step should be done weekly, to keep from stripping your skin’s natural oils. With that in mind, we recommend the Skinfood Black Sugar Exfoliating Wash-Off Mask to give yourself an extra bit of pampering.
- TONER – the first leave-on step that refreshes, hydrates, and rebalances your skin’s natural Ph level. Dear Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner is fragrance-free and a great amount for a good price.
- ESSENCE – great for combatting wrinkles and fine lines by penetrating deep and firming up the skin. It’s somewhere between a toner and a serum, which is why it falls between the two on the list. We recommend SK-II’s Facial Treatment Essence if you’re looking to splurge or Secret Key’s Starting Treatment Essence if you’re on a budget.
- SERUM – tackles your skin’s problem areas while hydrating, brightening, and preventing acne. If you like that youthful glow, you’ll love Dear Klairs’ Freshly Juiced Vitamin C Serum.
- MASK – helps hydrate skin, remove excess oils, and shrink pores all while you relax! This is another weekly step, although some masks boast daily use. Try Dr. Jart+ Vital Hydra Solution Deep Hydration Sheet Mask for high-quality hydration.
- EYE CREAM – moisturizes and corrects dark circles, puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles. You might be thinking, why not use a regular moisturizer? Eyelid skin is the thinnest skin on the body and prone to displaying signs of stress and aging. MIZON Collagen Power Firming Eye Cream uses regenerative collagen and can be used on laugh lines, neck, and forehead wrinkles!
- MOISTURISER – adds a layer of protection to seal everything up (and helps your makeup look flawless). Amorepacific Moisture Bond Cream is lightweight and has this soufflé texture that we love, fitting smoothly into the routine.
- SUNSCREEN – reduces damage from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, which is the leading cause of skin cancer, sunburn, premature aging, and eye damage. For UVA and UVB daily protection, use La Roche-Posay Uvidea XL Melt-In Cream SPF 50.